Mold Illness

Mold: A Growing Problem

Mold illness is quite common but often misdiagnosed. When a patient presents with mold toxicity symptoms, it can often look like a wide variety of other chronic conditions; and because most doctors have very little experience with mold illness, they rarely consider it when ruling out conditions for their sick patients. Also, not every one who lives in a moldy environment may experience symptoms, which makes the diagnosis even more of a challenge. If left untreated, mold illness can become chronic, even when the patient escapes the moldy environment. Severe mold toxicity can also be deadly.

Mold can occur anywhere and can grow on any surface where moisture is present. The most common sources of mold are in bathrooms, laundry rooms, food and within HVAC vents. Humidity levels of 55% or more are the perfect environment for mold spores to proliferate. It can also be found in fresh foods, not just aging produce. Peanuts and coffee beans are known to have a low level of mold from their natural growing environments.

Symptoms of mold illness vary across a wide spectrum, but some of the more common signs include brain fog, ADHD-like symptoms, whole body aches, upper respiratory congestion and infections, mood swings, pain in the ears, hair loss and difficult breathing.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can help mold illness in many ways. HBOT can stimulate superoxide dismutase, an important antioxidant, which can help the body flush out the mycotoxins left in the tissues from mold spores. HBOT can also help in the treatment of mold infection by enhancing white blood cell action and enhancing the outcome of antibiotics. The anti-inflammatory power of being in the hyperbaric chamber can help reduce the painful symptoms in the ears, lungs, respiratory tract and in the muscles

Mold Illness: Studies and Articles